Are you planning to move to Romania anytime soon? If so, then it is important to be well-informed about this country before making any decision. Here are 5 things you may want to know before moving to Romania:
1. Romania has a traditional cuisine rich in “heavy” food
If you are a gourmand, then you will definitely fall in love with Romanian traditional dishes. Otherwise, if you prefer vegetarian food, you may have a hard time eating in Romanian traditional restaurants. Romania has a traditional cuisine with plenty of heavy dishes, but otherwise super tasty.
Most of them are prepared from animal products, cheese, and milk. In most restaurants, you will find a wide range of traditional dishes such as:
- Sarmale (this is one of the most famous traditional Romanian dishes), served with sour cream and polenta;
- Mici – this dish is made of grilled minced pork meat served with mustard and white bread;
- Ciorbă – there is a wide variety of this one;
- Cooked foods made of rice, cabbage, mushrooms, and potatoes;
- Papanași – this is a very popular dessert in Romania. It includes doughnuts with sour cream and jam. Other traditional desserts include cozonac (a specific cake with nuts and cocoa inside) and plăcintă (pie – with cheese, apple, pumpkin, etc.).
Also, it is sometimes hard to find special or vegan food in Romanian supermarkets, especially in the smaller cities. For example, if you follow a special gluten-free regime, it may get difficult to find gluten-free products in all supermarkets.
Full content of this article is accessible only by subscribers of the Premium account
Join our Premium expat community, and gain access to all our Romanian life guiding and professional resources, immigration guides, tax guides, tax calculators, company setup guides, employment law guiding, business news articles and opinions, and many more.
Get online access to valuable resources, anytime, anywhere!
All resources from category: Romanian life guiding