Romanian annual tax return – frequently asked questions

FAQ: Romanian annual tax return

1. Who has an annual tax filing obligation in Romania?

The tax return must be filed by individuals who are Romanian tax residents, and who, either as individuals or in a form of association, derive any type of taxable income, in cash or in-kind, from any source (from Romania or from abroad).

The same obligation applies to non-resident individuals who derive income from Romanian sources – e.g. rental income from Romanian real estate.

For more details regarding the tax residency concept, and its applicability in Romania, you can check our article here: Romanian tax residence explained in details.

2. What types of income do I have to declare?

Any personal income that you derive as an individual, from activities such as:

  • self-employment activities,
  • intellectual property rights,
  • renting of any assets (real estate, personal belongings),
  • sale of shares or other types of financial investments,
  • dividends received from companies non-resident of Romania,
  • cryptocurrency transactions,
  • interest paid from entities non-resident of Romania,
  • gambling activities,
  • or other sources.

For more detailed information regarding each type of income and its tax treatment, you can also visit our Tax Guide.

3. Do I also have to declare my salary income through the annual tax return?

Salary income is not reportable through the annual tax return, but on a monthly basis, through monthly withholding that must be done by the employer, or through monthly filing (i.e. applicable for salary received from any non-resident employer).

Please see our article Monthly salary tax return – how do expats declare salary taxes in Romania?, for detailed information on declaring salary received from non-resident employers.

4. Is there any minimum income for which I can be exempt of Romanian taxes?

As general rule under the Romanian tax legislation, there is no minimum threshold that is free of tax. Income tax is due on the entire income derived, with only certain tax free thresholds applicable, only for some types of income (e.g., income from prizes). A non-taxable threshold is currently applicable only for the health fund contribution that is due on certain types of income.

5. If I derive income from other countries, how can I check if provisions of a double tax treaty apply?

You can get information on the applicable tax treaty from our Romanian Tax Treaties Repository. Tax authorities’ websites are also providing such information. For example, we usually check tax treaties in the Romanian Tax Office’s (ANAF) online repository, which you can find here: Conventions for the avoidance of double taxation concluded by Romania with other states. The page and the treaties are only in Romanian language, but hopefully there will be an English version pretty soon.

Similarly, you can check on the tax authorities’ website in your home country, as they may have a similar database online. Or, if you are resident of an EU member country, you may also check the list of tax treaties concluded by all EU member countries on the European Union’s website, here.

6. Which is the filing deadline for the annual tax return in Romania?

Romanian taxes must be reported and paid by every individual as follows:

  • for tax year 2018, the filing deadline was 31 July 2019;
  • for tax year 2019, the deadline was 15 March 2020, but it was extended to 30 June 2020.

7. Can I extend the annual tax return filing deadline?

Extension of the tax return submission deadline is possible only by law amendment (by authorities). There is no option for extension that can be exercised by the individual.

Other resources:
Need tax assistance with your Romanian annual tax return?
Use the form below to contact us and briefly describe your case and the assistance required. A tax consultant will get back to you regarding next steps.

Leave a comment