Both the individuals and the companies can open an online tax account with ANAF, in the Virtual Private Space (in Romanian: “Spațiul Privat Virtual” – SPV), a platform made available by the Romanian tax authorities. The online platform makes it possible for taxpayers to communicate with ANAF online, to file tax returns online, or obtain certain necessary tax documents. All these without the necessity to go physically to the local tax office.
Creating the online tax account requires the taxpayer to go through several steps that are largely similar for both categories of taxpayers. But in the case of individuals the process can involve also paying a visit to any tax office as part of the final step to activate the account. Thus, any individual who wants to open an online tax account with ANAF and who doesn’t have any official documents issued by ANAF (e.g., has not been issued any payment orders or tax decisions) must go to any ANAF office to activate their online account as final step of the procedure.
Nevertheless, more recently the tax authorities have made it possible for more categories of individuals to activate the online tax account with ANAF remotely, with no need to pay a visit to any tax office at all. More precisely, those who have been issued one of the following documents can use it to activate the account solely online:
- a tax decision – issued anytime as of 2013 onwards, or
- a decision regarding late payment interest or penalties due – issued anytime as of 2013 onwards, or
- a summons – issued anytime starting with 1 January 2015, or
- the letter received during 2018 from the Ministry of Public Finance, regarding the enrollment in the Virtual Private Space (in 2018 took place a national campaign to encourage online tax return filing).
Here are described below the steps you need to follow for opening an online tax account as an individual taxpayer. To make it easier, we have accompanied each step by screenshots from ANAF’s website (unfortunately the registration steps are only in Romanian), and instructions translated in English.
6 steps to open an online tax account with ANAF
1. Open ANAF’s website: anaf.ro. Then, on the upper-right side of the first page click on “Înregistrare în Spațiul Privat Virtual”, as shown in the picture below:
2. On the next page you will have to click on “Inregistrare utilizatori persoane fizice şi juridice”.
You will then be directed to a page where you will have to choose the applicable method for your registration – with password or with a digital certificate. If you don’t have a qualified digital certificate available, then the only option is “with password”.
3. So, on this page, you will first have to select the tab “Persoane fizice” (which is for individuals). Once you make sure this tab is selected, then click on “Înregistrare cu parolă”, as shown below.
4. On next page you will have to fill in your personal information, such as: full name, passport number, date of birth, email, etc. You will also have to select the type of account validation you want to use as part of the last step (please see below “validation of your account”). This must be selected under the line “Tipul de aprobare” (type of approval). Here you have three options, as follows:
- “Verificare număr document” – this entails having already issued any type of summon issued by ANAF for payment of any interest or penalties that are pending; also, this option applies if you have received a letter from the Ministry of Public Finance, regarding the enrollment in the Virtual Private Space.
- “Verificare număr înregistrare decizie” – this applies if you have already received from ANAF (during previous years) a tax decision calculating the income tax due, either following submission of the annual tax return for previous years, or for any late filing or late payment penalties.
For either of the options above, you will have to fill in (under the following line) with the registration number of the document.
If neither of the above options is applicable to your case (you haven’t had any contacts with ANAF before), then the below options should be selected:
- “Aprobare la ghișeu” – this entails your online account will have to be validated by any local tax office of ANAF ( please see below “validation of your account”).
Once you fill in all the required information, please click on Continue button (“Continuă”) at the bottom of the page, as shown in the screenshot above.
5. A new window will open, where you will have to insert a verification code (“Cod de verificare”). The verification code is automatically sent to you by email, so you will have to check your inbox for the email received automatically from ANAF. Once you find it, copy and paste the verification code, then click on the validation button.
6. Validation of your account (applicable if you choose the method ” “Aprobare la ghișeu”).
The successful validation will generate a new page where all details of your account will be listed. As part of the last step, you will have to print out this page, and together with copies of your passport and the Romanian residency permit/certificate (as the case may be) take it to the closest ANAF office for the final approval. The inspector from the tax office should be able to approve your account in the same day.
Once this is done, you will receive a confirmation email that your Virtual Private Space with ANAF is approved.
That is all! You can now access your online tax account and file your Romanian tax return.
Have any questions or need to contribute with useful comments? Please leave your thoughts below.