Are you a foreign national living in Romania and looking to exchange your driving license to a Romanian one? Then you’re in the right place. This is a practical step-by-step guide for having your foreign driving license exchanged to a Romanian license. The guide was prepared by our experts providing immigration services to expatriates in Romania for more than 15 years.
IMPORTANT: Before applying this guide, please carefully read the instructions described under the “Important prerequisites” tab below, to ensure it applies for your case.
This guide was prepared only for individuals holding foreign driving licenses and looking to exchange to a Romanian driving license. If you do not hold a driving license, we do not recommend purchasing this guide, as it may not be useful to your specific needs. Please look for for the right guide on our website. If you do not find a guide specifically tailored to your situation, please feel free to contact us with the questions you have.
- a foreign driving license can be exchanged only by foreign individuals living in Romania for at least 6 months, and who hold a Romanian residency permit;
- a holder of a foreign driving license should be able to exchange it to a Romanian one without the obligation to pass the driving exam in Romania; there are however a few exceptions or driving licenses that are issued by countries not having an acknowledgement agreement in place with Romania;
- to be able to apply for the license exchange, your foreign driving license must not have been suspended or cancelled;
- you must be at least 18 years old to obtain a Romanian driving permit for category B (normal vehicles);
- prepare yourself with loads of patience and acceptance of bureaucratic rules which may get annoying :); information that you can sometimes get from authorities related to driving regulations and driver’s license requirements may be contradictory sometimes.
If you are holder of an international driving license, you neither have to, nor can exchange it with a national one.
!!! For holders of Chinese driving licenses: A Chinese driving license can be exchanged to a Romanian one which is valid only for driving category B (common vehicles).
EXCHANGE DRIVING LICENSE TO ROMANIAN ONE
FULL PROCEDURE EXPLAINED
This is premium content, available only to members of our community having a Premium Account.
Log in to unlock the content or Register for an account!