The purpose of this guide is to explain in detail the steps you need to take for applying for the residency permit. All required documents and steps are explained by our experts, so you can ensure the Romanian residence permit without headaches.
IMPORTANT: please carefully read the instructions below under “Important prerequisites” tab before using this guide, to ensure it applies to your specific case.
- the US/Canadian applicant must be legally married to the Romanian citizen, meaning that a Romanian marriage certificate must be available for the residency permit application; thus, if the marriage was concluded under a different jurisdiction (e.g. in the USA), a Romanian transcription of the foreign marriage certificate must be obtained prior to the Romanian residency permit application;
- the applicant must have available a place of accommodation in Romania and must prove the availability through documents – e.g. rental contract, ownership contract, accommodation contract, etc.;
- the approval of the residency permit for Romania can be refused if the authorities conclude that the application is based on a “formal marriage”; similarly, the application can be refused if the authorities assess the existence of bigamy or polygamy;
- the residency permit for family member of Romanian citizen can be approved for a validity period of maximum 5 years.
More guidance: Any US or Canadian national legally married to a Romanian citizen has the right to apply for Romanian family reunification residency. To obtain the residency permit for Romania, the applicant must lodge both online and physical applications with the Romanian Immigration Office, which will have to include a specific set of documents, well prepared in advance. Therefore, before proceeding with the application, the applicant must properly prepare all the required documentation for it.
This is what our guide is able to help you with – i.e. explain all details you need, so you thoroughly prepare for the residency permit application, so that you do not risk rejection of the file by the Romanian immigration authorities.
If you have a different nationality, please do not purchase this guide, as it may not be fully helpful for your case. Please look for a guide that is specifically applicable for your nationality and situation. If you do not find it on our website, please feel free to contact us.
FAMILY REUNIFICATION RESIDENCY PERMIT FOR ROMANIA
for nationals of: USA, Canada
1. list of required documents – explained
a) Valid passport
Please make sure passport’s validity is of at least 6 months from the moment you plan to apply for the residency permit. Otherwise, we recommend obtaining a new passport before starting the residency permit application, as you risk rejection by the authorities.
b) Spouse’s valid Romanian identification card
Please ensure the Romanian ID (identification card) reflects new family name after marriage (if the case). Otherwise your spouse’s Romanian ID will need to be changed to reflect the new family name. This must be done before preparing the application file for the residency permit.
Full content of this guide is accessible only by subscribers of the Premium account
Experience the full power of the Premium subscription, and gain access to all our Romanian life guiding and professional resources: immigration guides, tax guides, company setup guides, employment law guides, business news articles and opinions, tax calculators, and many more.
Get online access to valuable and professional resources, anytime, anywhere!